Plazas & Courthouse Squares
Style: Spanish Colonial
Albuquerque Old Town Plaza
The focal point of community life since it was founded in 1706 by Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdez, the Old Town Plaza district encompasses about ten blocks of historic buildings. On the north side is the San Felipe de Neri Church, the oldest building in the city, which was built in 1793. Surrounding the church, the city's settlers built their homes, shops and government offices, many of which have been converted into the restaurants, art galleries and shops that comprise Old Town today.
Old Town today looks much like it did when it was built centuries ago. Its Pueblo-Spanish style architecture with flat roofed buildings and soft contours of adobe mirror the Southwestern landscape. Long portals line the fronts of most buildings offering shade from the New Mexican sun. Bancos (benches) are often built into the back walls of the portals, providing the perfect place to sit and watch the world go by.
Plaza and San Felipe Street | Albuquerque, NM 87104