Farmington Historic Downtown Commercial District
photo by Elmo Baca
After the mid 1870s, the population of the Four Corners area began to grow with the actual settlement of Farmingtown, later shortened to Farmington. The town was settled by pioneers from Animas City, CO at the confluence of the La Plata, Animas, and San Juan Rivers. Farmington began to blossom into a flourishing farm and ranch economy and incorporated on July 15, 1901.
In the early part of the 1900s, apple orchards nourished by the city's three rivers became a prime crop for the local farmers. Farmington went through several oil and gas booms during the 20th century. At one time, Farmington was the leading oil and gas producing area in the state of New Mexico. The oil and gas industry still remains a staple for the area. Farmington's proximity to several world class archaeological sites, including Chaco Culture National Historical Park, Mesa Verde National Park, and Aztec Ruins National Monument, and Navajo Nation is reflected in downtown's business community. Native American art galleries are mixed in with regular Main Street businesses such as banks, restaurants, gift stores, and furniture stores. The architecture of the district reflects popular early Twentieth Century architecture including Classical revival and Art Deco, using local sandstone and stucco.
Main St., Broadway Ave., Auburn Ave., Miller Ave. | Farmington, NM 87401 | 505-599-1419