Style: Victorian-Queen Anne
Original Townsite Historic District
The original 320 acres for the Raton townsite were purchased from the Maxwell Land Grant in 1880. In 1879, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad bought a local toll road from famed frontier entrepreneur "Uncle Dick" Wooton and established a busy rail line. Raton quickly developed as a railroad, mining and ranching center for the northeast part of the New Mexico territory, as well as the county seat and principal trading center of the area. By 1900, Raton was a bustling and progressive community boasting many fine homes and commercial buildings. Local coal mines attracted a diverse population including Italians, Slavs, and other European immigrants. The leading architectural firm in the region, Rapp and Rapp architects of Trinidad, Colorado designed several buildings in the historic district. The broad avenues at the foot of Goat Hill feature a variety of architectural styles, including Queen Anne, Italianate, Tudor Revival, and Neo-Classical Revival.
Clark and Cimarron Aves, S. Second and S. Seventh Sts. | Raton, NM 87301
mon: 24/7 | tue: 24/7 | wed: 24/7 | thu: 24/7 | fri: 24/7 | sat: 24/7 | sun: 24/7